Friday Flashback: Some of you may remember, last year Jaxon was Oscar the Grouch for Halloween. Oddly this post is my most liked post on Little Frills. I have officially been challenged to top this costume. Hopefully my plan for this year will be just as successful.
Many of you have asked me how I made it. I’ve been kicking myself for not taking photos along the way for a DIY post. So I will just explain…
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
footed sleeper that zips
hat with ear flaps (I got lucky and found one with a furry brim for the eye brow)
lots of green fuzzy yarn
tall hat box with lid
chrome duck tape
needle & thread
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OSCAR:
1. Cut 6 inch strips of green yarn. How many? about 2000.
2. Next, cut 2 half inch slits about a half inch apart. Like this: | |
Leave about 1 inch between each set of slits all over the sleeper and hat.
3. Then, slip 2 strands of yarn through each slit evenly. Like this: —|-|—
Tie in a knot. Be sure not to tie and yarn across the zipper!
4. If the hat does not have fur already sew some along the front edge of the hat.
NOTE: Steps 1-3 are pretty time consuming, so allow several late nights to complete.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TRASH CAN:
1. Cut several strips of chrome duck tape the height of the hat box, roll strips (sticky side out) and apply them vertically to the side, 3 inches apart to make the ridges.
2. Next, cut 4 strips to go around the top and bottom edges of the lid and base of the box. Roll and apply.
3. Then, cover the entire hat box and lid with tape.
4. Don’t forget to make a handle for the lid. Make a simple one by folding over some tape (sticky side in) several times and then tape on the top of the lid in the center.
5. Attach lid to the top of hat with extra yarn.